Friday, April 26, 2013

Geek Speaking of Enormous Pecs on Nerd Girls

Random Thoughts
Have you ever signed on to the computer to do something specific? Signed on with a mission and you're going to get shit done, damn it! Then have you ever come out of a daze and realized you've been scrolling through your facebook news feed for four hours and you can't remember what it was you signed on to the computer to do in the first place? I hate that.

Books are the original touch based interface.

I can't wait to see how much traffic the title of this post brings me.

Geek Speak: Meet Sam!
This cartoon introduces some people who are going to be recurring characters in Geek Speak. I've worked in tech for most of my adult life, and there is a certain stereotype of guys who work in the industry that is sometimes, not always, but sometimes supported by actual living archetypes. The idea of a couple of insular tech nerds who wouldn't recognize a woman if she were standing on them seemed to have some funny potential, so I drew this comic.


The interesting thing about this comic is its one I've had in the queue for a long, long time. Long enough that my drawing style has changed considerably. Just for grins I scanned the O.G. "Look at those Pecs" strip. Here it is in a nearly unaltered state; all I've done to modify this version is add the panel boxes. It does mean that you'll be exposed to my handwriting in its raw state. Sorry.


Same basic idea, even largely the same character design, but hugely different execution.

1 comment:

  1. At least your handwriting is legible. I've seen some chicken scratch that is pretty bad.

    The Laugh Suport (er - I mean Tech Support) that I deal with usually consists of three forigners with names consisting of 86 letters (two of which are vowels) but insist on being called "Joe" or "Frank" or "Pamela"; five interns who probably have never seen a computer in their lives and colectively have the attention span of a dead/rotten goldfish and one grizlied coot who knows more about your particular computer program than the developers did, but you rarely see or talk to him because he works from home most of the time.

    ReplyDelete