Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Random Geek Speaking of Hobos Moving Up

Random Thought
One of the lessons I've learned as the father a brand new baby boy is this: when changing a boy's diaper don't bend too far over the changing table, and for the love of God keep your mouth closed. I didn't have to learn this the hard way, fortunately. All I needed was to see my son demonstrate his "golden fountain" technique a couple of times.

Geek Speak: Hooch for Hobos


It's been a while since I've posted, so I understand if this strip doesn't make a lot of sense as the context has gotten a little stale. To refresh everyone's memory, or for those coming to this for the first time, here are the several strips leading up to the one I posted today:


Wow. I've been milking this gag for a while. Not much longer, though. There are two more in this series, then I'll take a little break from the regular characters and post some one off jokes before starting up a new mini-arc.

The Delay in posting strips was the result of a number of things, the most significant of which was the birth of my son. I talk about that in another post so I won't go into it too much more, here. In addition to the birth of my son I also left my job of more than seven years for a new position, which I talk about in more detail below. Throw the holidays on top of the rest of it, and it's actually amazing that I managed to complete the finishing work on today's comic strip.

With so much happening in the last few months I'm hoping 2014 is a year of relative peace and stability. I've had enough life altering changes for a while, though I'll probably explore that a little more in another post.

Moving On...Moving Up?
On Friday the 13th of December I left my position as a project manager with the company for which I had worked for more than seven years. My departure marks the end of what is far and away the longest single stretch of time I've spent with any one company.

There is an odd, even portentous symmetry to my departure. When I started at my last job my first day was June 6th, 2006 (6/06/06). My last day at the same job was December 13th, 2013 (12/13/13). Perhaps a numerologist could tell me what, if any, significance this has to my current job prospects. Short of consulting one I'm going to interpret it as I'm leaving at a time that is right for me.

In my new position I will be working for a Fortune 500 company as a project coordinator with other project managers. The new company is very recognizable, but (for obvious reasons) that is about as specific as I can be here.

The first couple of weeks have been slow, which is understandable. Christmas and New Year's are a weird time to start a new job anywhere. Right now I have a new email address, a Microsoft Lync ID, a network password, and a computer. All that's missing now is someone to install the Windows image on the laptop I've been issued and I'll be off to the races.

Two weeks in the change is still both terrifying and exciting. Though for the first time in longer than I care to discuss I'm actually looking forward to going to work in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment